RZS Anduin (DDL-1939)
Back to Zealandia Ships List
Classified in the Zealandian Navy as Flotilla Cruisers, these ships were
multi-role vessels. Fulfilling the roles of Air-defence ships and Destroyer
Leaders where required. These ships were Zealandias answer to the large and
expensive cruisers being built around the world with 9x8" and 12-15x6".
Zealandia just did not have the resources to build the numbers of full blooded
cruisers, so the Celduin class was laid down in pairs starting in 1936. The
first pair completed after wars start in November and December of 1939. The next
pair were completed in early 1940. The first pair (Celduin and Anduin) were used
as escorts to the Eriador and Gondor when they were sent to the Indian Ocean to
search for the German raider operating there. Once that mission was completed
they joined the South African squadron for the retaking of the Falkands and the
knocking out of the war of Argentina which surrendered in early 1940. The task
force was then sent to Gibraltar to become a part of Force H. The second pair (Baranduin
and Gwathlo) were sent to join Admiral Cunningham and his Mediterranean Fleet.
Of these first four ships, two were lost early with the Gwathlo being bombed and
sunk in Malta while acting with Force K. The Celduin was lost in October 1940,
having been hit twice with torpedoes from a U-Boat.
The early losses prompted the Zealandian Admiralty to order another six of the class, two being ordered in October 1940 to replace the losses and a further four ordered in January 1941 as part of the 1941 War Emergency Program. All six of these orders would complete late in 1942 early 1943. The loss of the other two original ships, Anduin and Baranduin in the Mediterranean, one at the fall of Greece and retreat from Crete, the other to a U-Boat in the Western Mediterranean on a 'grocery' run to Malta, meant that a further four ships were ordered in the 1942 War Emergency Program with completion dates in 1944.
Eventually sixteen of the class were built, the last arriving on station in August 1944. A further three were lost, one in 1942 and the other two in 1943. Of the seven lost, four were lost to torpedoes, two to bombs and the last to mines.
|Displacement||3,500 tons std 4,750 tons full load|
|Machinery||2 shaft steam turbines, 85,000shp|
|Range||7000 miles at 14 knots|
|Armament||8 x 4.5" (4x2)
12 x 2pd (3x4)
12 x 20mm (2x2 8x1)
|Torpedoes||10 x 21" (2x5)|
|Complement||440 (460 as Captain 'D')|
|Notes||RZS Celduin (11/1939) Lost, torpedoed by U-Boat 1940
RZS Anduin (12/1939) Lost, torpedoed by U-Boat 1941
RZS Baranduin (07/1940) Lost, bombed off Crete during retreat.
RZS Gwathlo (06/1940) Lost, bombed at anchor in Malta 1940.
RZS Bruinden (01/1941)
RZS Ninglor (02/1941) Lost, torpedoed at Savo Island 1942.
RZS Adom (10/1942) Lost, torpedoed at Anzio beach by Biber 1943.
RZS Carrock (11/1942)
RZS Harnen (11/1942)
RZS Langwall (11/1942)
RZS Greylir (12/1942)
RZS Carnen (01/1943) Lost, mined at D-day landings June 1944.
RZS Rhimdarh (12/1943)
RZS Greenway (02/1944)
RZS Nenuial (07/1944)
RZS Morthond (08/1944)
The original design was to have used the 5.25" guns being produced for the King George V and Dido classes. Reports on the rate-of-fire and crew fatigue with the bigger shells changed the Admiralties mind and the guns were changed to the twin 4.5" system with its bag and shell munitions being superior to the 4.5" used on the RN's Capital Ship rebuilds which used fixed ammunition. The RN was stuck with those weapons as to fix the problem would require replacement of the whole loading arrangement. Not an option in the middle of a war.
Twin 20mm mounted in the bridge wings.
Back to Zealandia Ships List