Konishi Class Battlecruisers.

 

Return to Index page:

Return to Japanese Navy Page:

 

The Konishi Class battlecruisers replaced the two Hyuga class battleships on a one for one basis. This gave the Japanese the two Nagato class and two Konishi class as the basis for a 16" gunned fleet. The following 8+8 capital ships to be built were scuttled by the Washington Treaty.

The two Konishi class were based on an improved Kongo class hull, with the 8x14" replaced with 6x16", a much more powerful armament. Two ships were laid down in 1915 and with the increased production work during WW1, the two ships were completed in 1919. The two ships stayed in the Pacific Fleet throughout their service lives. In 1940 both ships were taken in hand for refurbishment in line with other Japanese rebuilt ships.


 

Displacement: 32,000 tons standard, 37,500 tons full load
Dimensions: 738 x 98 x 28 feet
Machinery: 4 shaft, steam turbines 85,000shp
Speed: 28 knots
Endurance: 8,000 miles at 14 knots.
Armour: 10" belt, 2.5" deck, 12/9/6" turrets
Armament:
6 x 16" (3x2)
14 x 6" (14x1)
8 x 3" AA (8x1)
Crew: 1250

 



Displacement: 33,500 tons standard, 39,200 tons full load.
Dimensions: 738 x 98 x 28 feet
Machinery: 4 shaft, steam turbines, 100,000shp
Speed: 30 knots
Endurance: 10,000 miles at 15 knots.
Armour: 10" belt, 5.5" deck, 12/9/6" turrets
Armament:
6 x 16" (3x2)
10 x 3.9" (5x2)
72 x 25mm (24x3)

Aircraft: 2
Crew:  1420

 

Return to Japanese Navy Page: