BAV Amacuro (BC-1940)

 

Back to Venezuelan Navy page:

 

Third in the series of Venezuelan battleships/battlecruisers (if they had not been armed with guns bigger than 12" guns they would probably have been classed as battleships rather than battlecruisers), the Amacuro was the last of the ships that could be acquired at a cheaper rate by supplying much of the main and secondary armament from scrapping or refurbishing the older capital ships that arrived with Wrangels Fleet. The final armament provided was the four triple turrets from the Maracaibo class refurbishments.

The secondary dual purpose armament was the 5.1"/55 caliber guns of Russian manufacture but fitted into the US twin (5") turrets. Lots of 40mm and 20mm guns made up the AA armament. To assist with scouting the ship was fitted with aircraft handling facilities for four aircraft. The original aircraft were the Grumman JF2 Duck which were later replaced with Kingfisher and Seamew seaplanes as available. The aircraft handling facilities reduced the number of 5.1" to 12 instead of the 16-20 that would normally have been carried.

 

Displacement 31,000 tons std 37,800 tons full load
Length 739 ft
Breadth 96 ft
Draught 30 ft
Machinery 4 shaft steam turbines, 120,000shp
Speed 30 knots
Range 8000 miles at 15 knots (3,250 nm at 26 knots)
Armour 12" side, 5" deck, 11/9/7" turrets
Armament 12 x 12" (4x3)

12 x 5.1" (6x2)

52 x 40mm (13x4)

20 x 20mm (20x1)

Aircraft 4
Torpedoes nil
Complement 1480
Notes  

 

 

Back to Venezuelan Navy page: