HMS Algerine (MS-1941)
Back to Commonwealth Ships
From Wiki: By 1940 the Royal Navy had realized that the
The Algerine class was armed with a QF 4 in (102 mm) Mk V anti-aircraft gun and four twin-gun mounts for Oerlikon 20 mm cannon. The latter guns were in short supply when the first ships were being completed and they often got a proportion of single mounts. By 1944, single-barrel Bofors 40 mm mounts began replacing the twin 20 mm mounts on a one for one basis. All of the ships were fitted for four throwers and two rails for depth charges. Many ships omitted their sweeping gear in exchange for a 24-barrel Hedgehog spigot mortar and a stowage capacity for 90+ depth charges.
124 were built, 90 in the United Kingdom and 34 in Southern Africa.
After the war, a number continued in service as patrol boats, survey ships, and training ships. Some were sold to other navies or into merchant service. At least one - HMS Pickle (commanded by Lt. Cmdr. Hallifax and, later, Lt. Cmdr, Collins) - was still engaged in minesweeping duties in British waters as late as 1955. At least one Algerine is still in service with the Royal Thai Navy: HTMS Phosampton (ex-HMS ).
|Displacement||950 tons std, 1360 tons full load.|
|Machinery||2 shaft, 2,000-2,400 shp, turbine or reciprocating|
|Range||5000 miles at 10 knots|
1 x 4" (1x1) LA
4-8 x 20mm (4x1 or 2x1 2x2, or 4x2)
replaced by 4 x 1 - 40mm from 1943
|Notes||First of class completed Jan/1941|
Note the single 40mm have replaced the twin 20mm .
Back to Commonwealth Ships List