KM Emden (CL-1926)

 

Back to Germanic States Navy page:

 

The Emden was the first major ship designed and completed post-war for the Germanic States Navy. The ship introduced multi-gunned turrets to German cruiser design with four twin turrets giving an eight gun broadside, a major improvement over the WW1 cruisers 5 gun broadsides.

The secondary armament was four of the older 3.4" guns on dual-purpose mountings for use as AA guns as well as surface targets. Eventually these guns were replaced with twin mountings. The light AA armament started with the twin 37mm fitted to most major surface units, while the 20mm guns started being mounted in the late 30's in single and then quadruple mountings. A pair of triple torpedo tubes were fitted. The original sets were the 24"/60cm type in use at the end of WW1, these being replaced with the 21" during the refits during the 1930's.

 

Displacement 6,500 tons std, 7,900 tons full load
Length 509 ft
Breadth 47 ft
Draught 18 ft
Machinery 2 shaft Steam Turbines 46,500shp
Speed 30 knots
Range 5000 miles at 12 knots
Armour 2.5" side, 2" deck
Armament 8 x 5.9" (4x2)

4 x 3.4" (4x1)

8 x 37mm (4x2)

Aircraft nil
Torpedoes 6 x 24" 60cm (2x3) replaced with 21" 1934
Complement 680
Notes KM Emden

 

 

 

Back to Germanic States Navy page: