ARA Chaco (CL-1915 (1932-mod))

 

Return to Argentine Ships

 

Ex German cruiser Frankfurt purchased in 1920 from the Allied War Reparations Commission the ship arrived in Argentina in 1921 and started neutrality patrols with the other ex German cruisers either at the River Plate or Tierra Del Fuego sectors. The ships doing these patrols also acted as seagoing training ships because of the expansion of the Argentinian Navy, new recruits were being processed as fast as could be.

Returned to Germany in 1930 for modernisation after a total of 15 years in service. The single open 5.9" guns were replaced with new 5.9" weapons in turrets of both twin and sigle types. The old 3.4" guns and 19.7" torpedoes were also removed and replaced with new 88mm guns and 21" torpedoes while room was found for new light anti-aircraft weaponry in 20mm and 37mm sizes.

New boilers were installed which reduced the 3 funnels to two. New bridge superstructures were built for and aft to take the new gun directors.

 

Displacement 5,500 tons std, 7,250 tons full load
Length 476.5 ft
Breadth 45.5 ft
Draught 20 ft
Machinery 2 shaft Steam Turbines 45,000shp
Speed 30 knots
Range 5500 miles at 12 knots
Armour 2.6" side, 1" deck, 1" turrets
Armament 7 x 5.9" (1x2 5x1)

4 x 88mm (4x1)

6 x 37mm (3x2)

11 x 20mm (11x1)

Mines nil
Torpedoes 4 x 21" (2x2)
Complement 510
Notes ARA Chaco (ex Frankfurt)

 

 

 

Return to Argentine Ships