Andros Class Cruisers

 

Return to Algarvian Navy page:


The Andros class was Algarve's answer to the Scout Cruiser classes built in Britain Germany and the United States. The Andros class also introduced the 4.5" gun to the Algarvian Navy. The US ships were armed with 5" and 3", the Germans with 4.1", and the British with 4". The slightly larger 4.5" shells would cause more damage on the other navies cruisers where they only had a protective armoured deck, while the Andros type had both side and deck armour. The Andros class were the last of the triple expansion engined cruisers for Algarve.

The first two units were laid down in 1904 and the second pair in 1905 with completion in 1908/09. Their service in WW1 was extensive, with the Andros and Peloponese searching for the Emden (HMAS Sydney got there first) and then transferring to the Mediterranean and chasing up and down the Adriatic after Austro-Hungarian Navay ships. It was in the Adriatic that Peloponese ran into a newly laid mine field, triggering two mines and then drifting into a third. The ship sank in minutes. The other pair went to the North Sea and were with Admiral Tyrwhitt's cruiser force at Harwich. Both ships were heavily engaged at the battles of Heligoland Bight, the Cuxhaven Raid, and Dogger Bank. At Jutland, Tyrwhitt's cruisers and destroyers were kept to the south of the battle to intercept any German ships trying to get to the English coast for bombardment or other nefarious purposes.

Having triple expansion engines the remaining three ships of the class had been discarded by 1922.




Displacement: 3,250 tons normal, 4,000 tons full load.
Dimensions: 414 x 44 x 14 feet
Machinery: 4 shaft, triple expansion, 22,000shp
Speed: 26 knots
Endurance: 4,000 miles at 15 knots.
Armour: 2 belt, 1 deck,
Armament:
7 x 4.5 (7x1)
14 x 40mm (7x2)
4 x 18" torpedoes (2x2)
Crew: 280



ARS Andros (1908) Service/Fate:
ARS Pelopenese (1908) Service/Fate:
ARS Marathon (1909) Service/Fate:
ARS Ionian (1909) Service/Fate:

 

Return to Algarvian Navy page: